Each year, the Season of Creation offers a special time for the world-wide Christian family to join together in celebration and action for our common home. Beginning on September 1, the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation, and concluding on October 4, the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, the Season of Creation is filled with opportunities for prayer, reflection, action and advocacy. Visit the official Season of Creation website to learn more about this year’s symbol of the burning bush and the theme of “Listen to the Voice of Creation.”
Our invitation to you this Season of Creation
Our invitation during this special time is to create your own Laudato Si’ Action Plan as you continue your “journey towards sustainability in the holistic spirit of integral ecology.”
- Reflect on what you’re already doing. Chances are you’ve already taken some steps recently to care for creation. Take a self-assessment to find out how you’re already living out Laudato Si’ and gain some ideas of new steps you can take.
- Brainstorm action steps.
- Create an Action Plan. Click here for a simple template you can use.
- Share with us! We’d love to learn about your Laudato Si’ journey and find out how we can support you. Share your action plan with us and we’ll provide encouragement and offer check-ins to help you stay on track. This is also a great way to be part of our Franciscan community of people across the Western US that are also living Laudato Si’ with a Franciscan heart.
Other ways to participate
- Check out the official Season of Creation Celebration Guide for practical ideas and step-by-step guides to engage in prayer services, advocacy events, and more!
- Incorporate Laudato Si’ themes and the spirit of integral ecology using “Listen to the Voice of Creation: A Catholic Liturgical Guide.” This in-depth and beautifully crafted liturgical guide includes suggestions for each Sunday, such as introductory comments, penitential rite, orations, general intercessions, music, and scripture reflections.
- Follow the “Cultivating a Culture of Care” prayer guide for personal or group prayer incorporating readings from Laudato Si’ and reflection questions.
- For more resources, including a link to a calendar of in-person and online events, visit Catholic Climate Covenant’s Season of Creation page.